_

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Cycling Revolution

I stumbled across this article from the London Evening Standard last night in my daily quest for random knowledge, Boris Johnson's London bike hire hits the streets

London’s Mayor Boris Johnson has pledged and delivered a cycling revolution to the city. This cycling revolution will give all Londoners the opportunity to hop on a bike and experience the joys of cycling. The aim is to have one in five commutes in London made by bike, this is a situation that hasn’t been seen since 1904.

Amazing idea?!

Midland is following suit with its own cycling revolution. Now, our revolution might not be as grand but it’s a step in the right direction. You may have noticed around town the new share the road signs? The first time I saw one it brought an instant smile to my face. I can’t count the number of times I’ve been run off the road by cars, trucks, and angry grandmas, on my commute to and from work. For those of you concerned for my safety the risk factor is far less now that my commute has been knocked down to 3 minutes walking distance.

I can’t help but think these signs are the first step in Midland’s very own Cycling Revolution, hopefully soon to be followed by bike lanes on the busiest of our roads. I might be stepping out of line here, and tooting our own CTS horn, but I also can’t help but think our Annual Bike to Work day might have had an influenced on the Town’s decision to post these share the road signs along our roadways. Along with the determination and dedication of our two town councillors Steven Kramp and Pat File who have always pushed for bike lanes and cycling awareness in our community.

It’s undeniable that there is a growing cycling community in this town. We should feel proud to be a part of this community. We all share common interests; an interest in a healthy lifestyle, an alternative green mode of transportation and the love for the two wheels we ride. We are bike enthusiasts and we are a part of a growing group that should continue to push for beneficial changes for cycling safety in Midland and the surrounding area.

I truly feel that through hosting bike to work events, Halloween group rides, and riding our bikes daily we are making our presence known and helping push for our very own cycling revolution. We can make a difference one pedal stroke at a time.

If you want to become more involved in making changes for cyclists in our community email our Town Councillors Stephan Kramp or Pat File to see how you can get started.

2 comments:

You might also like:

Followers