_

Thursday, August 12, 2010

CLIF BAR, Keeps You Moving

More then just healthy energy, Clif Bar comes to the rescue. During this past Tuesday's group ride, fellow CTS rider Kevin found himself with a flat tire. We were an hour into our ride and at the deepest part of the forest, walking out now would have taken forever. If you ride a lot you know that flat tires happen often and you need to be prepared. So, being prepared, I gave him my spear tube and pump. As he pumped up the new tube he notice that he didn't just have a pinch flat, he had a tear in the wall of his tire. Riding with the tube swelling out of the side wall was not going to work very well. Kevin wouldn't have gotten very far before it popped again. The obvious thing to do would have been to cut the old tube and lay it on the inside to cover the rip, but no one had a knife or scissors. We tried biting the tube and stabbing it, but neither worked. Then it came to me, I had a Clif bar in my pack, we could use the wrapper to line the inside of the tire so the tube wouldn't blister out. Not only did it work, it worked GREAT! Kevin road for another two hours with no issues. So that's how a Clif Bar can save the day.

2 comments:

  1. that's awesome! When I rode from Nanaimo to SanFrancisco my tire wall had a tear and kept popping.. I didn't have the cash to buy a new tire so I tried cardboard, piece of tube (worked for a day or two) and aluminum foil... nothing lasted long and then when in the Redwoods in California I tried a piece of redwood bark - it never popped again for the rest of my trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks to all 26 people who waited for me to change my tire. Thanks greg for the tube, pump,adapter,cliff bar and cliff bar wrapper you really saved the day! I will be prepared from now on. Kevin

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Followers