_

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Chicks Dig It…

I swear every Tuesday time drags on. Every time I look at the clock I can’t believe only three minutes have gone by since the last time I checked. I feel we should rally to form a policy that allows Tuesdays to become a company wide holiday. We’ve got the numbers in employees, we’ve got the bosses on our side, and it’s time to take action. But I can save that rant for another day, because every Tuesday 5 o’clock eventually comes around and its time to ride.

By 4:56 I’m already dressed in my biking gear, proper clothes to avoid chaffing but enough pink that the boys still remember I’m a girl.

Butterflies fill my stomach, my smile is ear to ear, and I’m singing along as loud as I can to the radio as we drive out to the forest. This feeling never goes away, it’s the feeling of pure love, excitement and anticipation to get on my bike and tear up the trails.

Once we are on the trails it’s on. The crude jokes are being cracked, the sweating and gasping for air is in full form, there is no shame in the forest, there’s no room for it in mountain biking.

When I’m in the ‘real’ world and people see my scars and bruises they are always taken aback. I’m constantly asked what happened. Genuine concern comes across peoples faces "ohhh dear what happened!". When I tell people the scars and bruises come from mountain biking I always get asked why I ride. For me the answer is easy.

There is no better feeling than pushing your body to its max. When you are at the half way point of a climb and your legs are burning you can feel every heart beat. It feels almost like there’s not enough room in your chest for your heart to beat. Your lungs are on fire, you are seeing stars and you’re certain your muscles are going to rip apart or your lungs are going to burst. But you keep climbing, pedal after pedal pushing yourself to the top. Because once you’re at the top there’s no where to go but down (and in this case it’s a good thing).

I ride my bike because it feels like freedom. Flying down the single track switch backs, taking corners at speeds that are dangerously unsafe, sound effects in full form, wind causing tears to stream down your face, and taking jumps like no one’s watching or judging. Every time I get to the bottom all I can think is lets do that again!!!

I ride my bike because it makes me feel strong, in control and like I’m 14 all over again! Nothing else can give me this feeling of being alive.

I’m one of three CTS woman riders, a number I hope increases with time! We CTS woman can not only keep up with the boys, but also lead the way. We can ride our bikes, get up from crashes, be princesses AND drink with the boys! I love riding with these guys. They build my confidence, teach me new tricks and constantly remind me I’m one of them. So thanks boys! Thanks for giving me new scars on my legs and teasing me every time I fall!

But remember, even though I can keep up with you I will always be the substitute ‘mom’ on the bike, I will still close my eyes and sing to myself every time you hit a jump that is deemed unsafe by me.

-Angela Splash

1 comment:

You might also like:

Followers