_

Thursday, April 14, 2011

THE DON REPORT Post 001

***IMPORTANT NOTICE: NO TRAILS WERE HARMED

IN THE MAKING OF THIS REPORT***


Not about the Don but by Don Legere. I was one of those customers who mentioned that the trails were mushy 2 weeks ago but things have changed. I rode today from Nursery Rd east towards the Board of ED. and the trails were perfectly dry until I came to that bend in the trail before the train tracks where there was a small section of ice. It was dry all the way to the Board of ED where I rode behind the building in sand as dry as the middle of summer. From there I went down into the valley near HWY 27 where I encountered 2 or 3 small patches of snow or ice and a little bit of mud on the climb up near the stream which was easily avoided without going off trail, but there’s almost always a little bit of mud there anyways.

Once back at the top I went to the big sand dune lookout and rode down the hill, over another patch of ice at the bottom, and then down into the valley where the long bridge crosses the swamp. Down there it was completely dry and firm riding, and then climbing the sandy hill which was only a little damp back to the top. I went back up to the Board of ED and over to the west then crossed the train tracks and down the trail on the right. I then rode along the ridge line before heading back up to Nursery Rd and crossing it near the new Municipal buildings. Now over on the west side of Nursery Rd I went to the trail that’s like a mini roller coaster which again was in great shape with only 2 very small patches of snow. Now at the bottom of this trail and over towards the pond it was pretty wet in a few spots so I walked my bike to the crazy humpback whale feature but I didn’t go any further than that because it was very wet there. I’m pretty sure if I went pack up the top where the soccer pitches are I would have been on dry trails once again but I called it quits for the day.

I put in just over 10k of riding while I was there and at no time was there any damage to the trails. So all I can say is ladies and gentlemen get on your bikes and ride our season has finally started and I hope to see some of you out there this weekend weather permitting.

Don Legere


4 comments:

  1. "The Hidden Gem" trails UPDATE
    So far this year I have spent 7 hours in the trails and not on my bike. 5 hours with a leaf blower and 2 fixing bridges and removing downed trees. Since there is no great elevation in " The Hidden Gem" snow and streams are not a issue, but the age of the forest and the type of soil are the biggest problem. Trees 100 feet tall are in loose soil and in bad weather fall like boiling pins. In the coming week I will have to get out and re-route some trail. If anyone has ever attempted to make trail you know It's not easy and very time consuming. But this is the time of year to expand the trail and be creative. "The Hidden Gem" trail has doubled in the last 2 years and will continue to evolve and improve. Its a hidden technical Gem. I will keep everyone posted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went out there for a ride tonight after work, and all I can say is "Fish, You rock, AWESOME work fella", the trail is in good shape, nice and dry, still a few trees down, but with a little CTS spirit and love of the sport, maybe We can get some of us to go and help out finishing the trail off. Then We can all go ridin'.

    Phil.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris,
    Let me know if you ever need any help, maybe we can chain gang the trails one weekend and just get ‘er done.

    Don

    ReplyDelete

You might also like:

Followers